Suicidal’ man with anorexia told he can no longer receive disability benefits

A ‘suicidal’ man with anorexia and arthritis has been told he can no longer receive disability benefits.

Stuart Price, from Llanelli, south Wales, has received the benefits for decades.

He says he is unable to eat solid food because to his condition.

Stuart obtained a written letter from his doctor confirming his medical history, which mentioned his dependence on a walking aid to move around the house.

The doctor specified that Stuart’s condition has “continued to deteriorate” since the 1990s; following a vehicle collision in 1977, he has been unable to taste food – though his anorexia has worsened his situation.

Because I’ve got anorexia, I don’t eat anything, but I’m now feeling that I don’t want to drink any liquids, not until this decision is altered. I’ve had enough, I’d rather die.

They haven’t taken into consideration my anorexia, how severe my arthritis is and many other things which they haven’t even looked at. The people I spoke to were very condescending, and did not take into consideration my memory, brain damage or my stroke. They were quite sarcastic.

They asked me, why don’t you go for a walk? I can’t, I’m in agony. I’ve been suffering from it for over 20 years.

All of my right side is weak or numb, and has been since my stroke. They didn’t take that into consideration at all.

I am suicidal, and have been for quite a long time. But this has brought it to the point where, when I find that I am of no use to my family anymore, I will be disappearing. I’ve had enough.

– Stuart Price

Stuart appealed the decision, but last November he was told that that he did not qualify for an award of the mobility part of the personal independence payment (PIP).

The DWP said this was because he could stand and move between 50 and 200 metres unaided – something Stuart refutes due to being in “constant agony”.

Mr Price’s appeal outcome was received on November 29, but further evidence from the courts and tribunal was brought to light earlier that month.

We have to ask for permission to set aside the court’s tribunal and accept our decision that he should be on the enhanced rate.

We don’t want to implement the court’s decision as we wait for the allowance from the Decision Making Authority (DMA). If and when that comes we’d be able to act despite the court’s decision.

– Wendy Larsen, PIP claim case manager at the DWP


Share This

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.