Heroic mum runs into blazing bedroom to save disabled son from house fire

Diane, from South Wigston, Leicester, said she had to fight through the thick, choking smoke to reach her 21-year-old son Steven

A heroic mum ran into a blazing bedroom to save her disabled son from a devastating house fire.

Diane was in her kitchen when she noticed smoke billowing down the stairs of her Leicester home.

While her 16-year-old son Bertie was able to flee his bedroom, Diane panicked about her 21-year-old son Steven, who has learning difficulties, reports Leicestershire Live .

She battled through thick, choking smoke as she ran in and out of her bedroom as she searched for her son.

Describing it as the “worst experience of her life”, Diane said: “I could not see Steven. I had to run in and shout his name.

“But the smoke was so thick and choking that I had to go out of the room to get my breath to run back in and try to find him.

“After what seemed like an eternity, he came out of the door and we got out of the house. It was the worst experience of my life.

Parts of the house were left totally destroyed by the fire (Image: leicestermercury.co.uk/ WS)

 

“I thought I was going to lose my son.”

Describing how she was alerted to the fire, Diane said she knew something wasn’t right as she stood in the kitchen at around 5pm yesterday.

She added: “I went out into the hall and could see thick smoke coming down the stairs.

“Bertie, my 16-year-old son, was able to get himself out from his own bedroom.

“Steven, who has learning difficulties, was in my bedroom.

“A neighbour was banging on my door telling me the house was on fire as smoke was pouring out of my bedroom window at the front.

“Steve suffered burns to his chest and was taken to hospital by ambulance. He suffered with smoke inhalation too. He’s okay now though.”

Diane described how she couldn’t see her hands in front of her face through the thick, black smoke(Image: leicestermercury.co.uk/ WS)

 

A spokeswoman for the Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The blaze caused 50 % damage to a bed and a mattress.

“The fire started on a bed in a first floor bedroom. The first floor was totally smoke logged.

☝️♿️ Sale Now On ! On Our Disability Items ♿️☝️

“The crews cut away at the loft space to check that the fire had not spread to neighbouring properties.

“A man, with superficial burns, was taken to the Leicester Royal Infirmary as a precaution.”

Police closed off the road while the emergency services dealt with the incident.

Diane praised her neighbours who have rallied round after the fire.

She said: “The vast majority of my neighbours have been great. I don’t have any gas or electricity but I am staying in the house.

Diane described the fire as “the worst experience of her life” (Image: leicestermercury.co.uk/ WS)

 

“The upstairs is wrecked but downstairs is ok.

“Neighbours have come round with baskets and food and all sorts of help. It’s wonderful.”

An online appeal has been set up by neighbour Jodie Sheridan to help raise money to help Diane and her sons.

Diane said: “That is such a lovely thing to do. It just shows how wonderful some people can be.

“We appreciate any help that people give to us. It is very reassuring and very comforting in our hour of need.”

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heroic-mum-runs-blazing-bedroom-14253546

Share This

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.