The parents of a 12-year-old boy have been left heartbroken after their son died just three days after going to the doctors and being diagnosed with a viral infection.
Parents Phil and Sarah Day are urging other mums and dads to be aware of the killer condition sepsis.
The parents of Dylan Day took their son to see a GP after he was sick and reported a headache and sore throat.
He was diagnosed with a viral flu B illness, but not sepsis – a rare but life-threatening complication of infections.
Just hours later he began breathing erratically and was rushed to hospital near his family home in Cellarhead, Stoke, according to the Stoke Sentinel .
His condition deteriorated and he was then transferred to Alder Hey children’s hospital for specialist treatment.
He died on the evening of Saturday, January 20, despite what his parents called the “tireless” efforts of staff at the Liverpool hospital.
Now the family are warning other parents to ask health professionals more questions about the dangers of sepsis.
Early symptoms in children aged five and older include a high temperature, chills and shivering, a fast heartbeat and rapid breathing.
More severe symptoms can include dizziness, confusion, diarrheoa, nausea, slurred speech, mottled skin, severe breathlessness and muscle pain.
Ms Day, 36, told the Sentinel: “We felt desperate and helpless.
“All I could do was kiss and hold him.
“It was horrific, it all happened so quickly.
“We are still in shock with what’s happened.
She also wrote on Facebook : “I did not know about sepsis, about the signs. I wish I could have saved my boy.
“It’s so cruel.
“Just take it in about how dangerous sepsis is – if you are not sure then ask for help.”
The mum, who also has a 14-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son, also spoke of her grief at losing her son.
She wrote: “I feel like I’m not really here and I’m looking in on somebody else’s life.
“I miss Dylan so much but it’s so strange, it feels like this is so unreal. At times i feel like he is in another room or just at school.
“This heartache comes in waves. I feel I can take on the world but then it hits me what’s it all for, my boy, my gorgeous gentle boy, is never coming home.
“Just take it in about how dangerous sepsis is ,if you are not sure then ask for help. I did not know about sepsis about the signs. I wish I could of saved my boy. It’s so cruel.
“I need to make a difference – no one should lose a child or adult this way.”
She also said: “I also want to praise the surgeons, doctors, nurses, care staff and bereavement team at Alder Hey, and thank them with all my heart.
“I want to thank the people of Liverpool who worked in and around the hospital – truly lovely people to myself and my husband Phil at such an horrific time.”
She described Dylan as a “thoughtful and lovely boy” and a keen footballer.
She said:“He loved any sport, especially football. He was a dream child, so caring, really laid back and easy going. Nobody would say a bad word about him – I loved being his mum.”
What causes sepsis?
Sepsis film about how disease left husband disfigured – starring Tom and Nic Ray
According to the NHS, sepsis or septicaemia, is triggered by an infection or injury.
The body’s immune system begins to work in overdrive to combat infection, which can lead to a reduced blood supply to vital organs.