Doctor who missed sepsis which killed boy, 9, could soon be back in work

Mum of tragic Thomas Hull called four-month ban “disgraceful”

A Merseyside doctor who missed an infection that killed a nine-year-old boy could soon go back to work after a four-month ban.

Tragic Thomas Hull, from St Helens, died from sepsis just hours after being discharged from Whiston Hospital.
Dr Thiagarajan Sundaravadivelu admitted failing to grasp that Thomas had already been diagnosed with sepsis only a few hours earlier, before he began his shift.

But he avoided being struck off at a medical tribunal earlier this year, with the short-term suspension dubbed “disgraceful” by the patient’s family.

The doctor’s temporary ban could be lifted this week, with a tribunal hearing on Friday to review whether he should be allowed to return to work, and with or without conditions.

The locum registrar has not worked again at Whiston Hospital since shortly after the incident.

Thomas, who had had cerebral palsy and a rare condition called ATRX syndrome, was first diagnosed with a chest infection by his GP.

Thomas, who had had cerebral palsy and a rare condition called ATRX syndrome, was first diagnosed with a chest infection by his GP.

Thomas Hull was just nine when he died of sepsis six hours after a doctor discharged him from Whiston hospital.
But the tribunal found Dr Sundaravadivelu, who took over the case at midnight, failed to take into account the director’s sepsis diagnosis before deciding to discharge him.

It found he did not adequately examine the boy, downgraded his director’s treatment plan and discharged Thomas without discussing it with the on-call consultant.

He only confirmed the more minor infection and provided antibiotics to take at home at 0.25am – and Thomas was dead by 6.15am.

He also let the patient go without telling his mum the signs that might indicate his condition was deteriorating, the tribunal found.

The tribunal said is actions amounted to misconduct and would be “regarded as deplorable by fellow practitioners”.

But it said there was a low risk of further failings and there had been no further complaints, deciding to suspend rather than strike him off the General Medical Council (GMC) register.
A Merseyside doctor who missed an infection that killed a nine-year-old boy could soon go back to work after a four-month ban.

Tragic Thomas Hull, from St Helens, died from sepsis just hours after being discharged from Whiston Hospital.

Dr Thiagarajan Sundaravadivelu admitted failing to grasp that Thomas had already been diagnosed with sepsis only a few hours earlier, before he began his shift.

But he avoided being struck off at a medical tribunal earlier this year, with the short-term suspension dubbed “disgraceful” by the patient’s family.

The doctor’s temporary ban could be lifted this week, with a tribunal hearing on Friday to review whether he should be allowed to return to work, and with or without conditions.

The locum registrar has not worked again at Whiston Hospital since shortly after the incident.
Thomas, who had had cerebral palsy and a rare condition called ATRX syndrome, was first diagnosed with a chest infection by his GP.
But his condition deteriorated and he was taken to hospital in December 2013.

He was first examined by a clinical director, who diagnosed him with sepsis as well as a suspected lower respiratory tract infection.
Thomas Hull was just nine when he died of sepsis six hours after a doctor discharged him from Whiston hospital.
But the tribunal found Dr Sundaravadivelu, who took over the case at midnight, failed to take into account the director’s sepsis diagnosis before deciding to discharge him.

It found he did not adequately examine the boy, downgraded his director’s treatment plan and discharged Thomas without discussing it with the on-call consultant.
He only confirmed the more minor infection and provided antibiotics to take at home at 0.25am – and Thomas was dead by 6.15am.

He also let the patient go without telling his mum the signs that might indicate his condition was deteriorating, the tribunal found.

The tribunal said is actions amounted to misconduct and would be “regarded as deplorable by fellow practitioners”.

But it said there was a low risk of further failings and there had been no further complaints, deciding to suspend rather than strike him off the General Medical Council (GMC) register.
Donna Hull, Thomas’ mum, previously told the ECHO: “Justice has not been done here. Doctors can’t get away with things like this.

“We had made our feelings clear that we expected him to be struck off at the least. The fact he’s just been suspended for months has flabbergasted us.”

A St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust spokeswoman said: “The doctor was referred to the General Medical Council after the Trust found failings in the care he provided to a patient.

“The GMC have decided to suspend him for four months. The doctor has not worked at the Trust since concerns were raised.”

Source: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/doctor-who-missed-sepsis-killed-13409551

[wdps id=”27″]

Share This

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*