Disabled man screamed after carer put him in bath so hot it killed him

Benjamin Reed from Boise, Idaho died 11 days after being put in the hot bath

A disabled man died after suffering third degrees burns when a carer put him in a hot bath.

Benjamin Reed was scorched in a bathtub on May 16 at his home in Idaho, USA.

The 38-year-old died 11 days later having spent a week in a coma.

The tragic incident came just two and a half weeks after a worker from A Caring Hand, an agency based in Boise, Idaho, had been employed to look after Mr Reed.

Joe Ribich, who had lived with his friend for the past seven years, told the Idaho Statesman : “I’ve bathed him (up to) five times a day for four years.

“How does this happen? How?”

The 38-year-old was unable to walk unassisted due to his condition

 

Mr Reed was unable to walk or talk due to Huntingdon’s disease, an incurable genetic disorder which breaks down nerve cells in the brain.

According to Mr Ribich his friend was at the penultimate stage four of the condition and was unable to walk unassisted.

On the day of the incident the care worker, who had eight months experience, had taken Mr Reed upstairs, turned on the bath’s tap and then walked downstairs again.

Some time later the carer returned to the bathroom and moved Mr Reed from the tub to his bedroom before telling the man’s other housemate something was wrong and asking what he should do about it, Mr Ribich claimed.

Choosing not to follow the housemate’s suggestion to call 911, the carer rang Mr Ribbich and Mr Reed’s mum.

“All I could hear is him crying. I could hear him screaming,” Mr Ribich said of the call.

“The only time I heard him crying like that was at his sister’s funeral.”

The worker from A Caring Hand had been employed for two and a half weeks to look after Benjamin Reed (Image: Google Maps)

Alarmed, he called paramedics and immediately drove home.

An ambulance then took Reed to the hospital, where he was loaded onto an air ambulance to Salt Lake City.

According to Mr Ribich his friend had third-degree burns up to his shoulder blades.

He followed after the ambulance to hospital where Mr Reed fell into a coma.

Several days later doctors decided to take him off the ventilator.

A Caring Hand refused to comment beyond calling Reed’s death a ‘tragic accident.’

Spokeswoman Jennifer Flowers added that the agency was conducting an internal review into what happened.

According to the Idaho Statesman carers like the one looking after Mr Reed do not need a license or a formal education in health care under state law.

The carer is being questioned by police.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/disabled-man-screamed-after-carer-16257670

Share This

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.